Performing with House of Hush?
All performers are required to familiarize themselves with our show format and expectations. By agreeing to perform for House of Hush, you are agreeing to familiarize yourself with and follow the professional standards as described below.
About our monthly show
Our monthly show takes place at Crash Hotel in downtown Edmonton. It is a speakeasy show styled after a past era of extravagant parties. It’s an intimate show (only 50 tickets available per show) without the separation of stage: burlesque artists perform mere inches from guests' seats. We take our guests back in time to an era of luxurious outfits, glamour, wild gin-soaked revelry, and a night of classic burlesque with top burlesque performers from Edmonton, Calgary, and beyond.
What we’re looking for
Our show has a very small cast – as few as 3 or 4 performers. So every performer and every act needs to be stand-out, professional and high level, from costume to choreography! Shows generally include a headliner, a few members from our core House of Hush cast, and other professional-quality local performers. We also reserve one performer spot each show for out-of-town performers, so that we can showcase the amazing wider burlesque community to local Edmonton audiences.
So what do we mean when we say we're looking for professional performers and high-quality acts?
- We are looking for highly skilled burlesque performers with at least two years of burlesque performance experience on a variety of different stages and events.
- Because of the speakeasy vibe of the venue and the branding of the show, we are generally looking for acts that lean towards what is termed “Classic" burlesque: jazz or big-band music tracks and dazzling costumes that harken back to the 1910s, 20s, 30s and 40s, as well as great musicality, movement and striptease-ability!
- As a performer you will need to be comfortable and confident performing in a small space (no stage) where you will be roving and interacting with guests.
- Because performers are so close to the audience, costumes need to be really high-quality and dazzling!
code of conduct
Professional and respectful engagement with House of Hush team, volunteers, venue and audience is required at all times. This includes:
- promoting the show as requested by the producers, sending music/bio/promo images by the requested deadline;
- showing up prepared and on-time, and remaining at the venue until curtain call;
- sharing the dressing room area and being respectful of the venue;
- being kind, professional and respectful at all times to House of Hush producers, fellow performers, volunteers, venue staff, and guests.
Anyone who fails to meet these basic professional standards may be asked to leave immediately, and will not be invited back.
safety at house of hush events
Crash Hotel provides a security person for our monthly shows. Please ask a House of Hush volunteer or producer (Violette) when you arrive at the venue to identify this person for you. If you have ANY safety concerns for yourself or others during a House of Hush show, please speak IMMEDIATELY to our security person, the bar manager David Bryant, or the producer Violette Coquette. The security person on staff during our shows has the sole job of making sure that we are safe and not hassled, so please find them if you come across any security issues, or if anyone is making you, a performer or guest feel uncomfortable. We have zero tolerance for any type of harassment or abuse during our events.
questions or feedback?
We are always working to improve! If you have questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome and encourage respectful back-and-forth dialogue.